Sicilian Cioppino - SeaFOODIE Recipes
Southwind Foods / Great American Seafood Imports Co. is a U.S. family owned and run company, sourcing responsible seafood from around the world. Our founder, Buddy (Sebastiano) Galletti was born in a small town in Sicily so we thought it was only right to share our favorite Sicilian Cioppino recipe. This recipe brings our family back to our roots, and is an amazing dish to share with friends or enjoy on a cold winters day. We encourage EVERYONE to eat more seafood and practice cooking at home, its more simple than you think. We hope you enjoy!
Sicilian Cioppino - PRINTER FRIENDLY
2 ¼ pounds Fish (white fish mild to medium flavor)
4 tbsp chopped garlic
1 ½ onions
½ cup carrots, diced
1cup 6-inch rib celery
1 small bunch of parsley
4 ripe tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
2 ltr fish or shrimp stock
2 tbsp dried basil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1lb cleaned squid
1 32 oz can clams in juice
2 lbs crab claws
2 lbs peeled shrimp
4 cups marinara sauce
1 tsp oregano
1. Saute onions, and celery in olive oil until transparent.
2. Add carrots, stock, garlic, wine, tomatoes, and dried basil and bay leaves.
3. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 hour on simmer.
4. Add Clams with juice, squid, crab, shrimp and fish.
5. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
6. Try not to sir in order to keep the fish in large pieces
TIPS: You can use your imagination on this one and the more fish and seafood you add the better it gets. Try adding Black mussels, shucked oysters, or lobster meat for an exciting change. Serve with lots of napkins and bread.
– Recipe provided by Frankie the Bull, Global Sourcing Manager and Chef/Owner of Fishmongers Market and Seafood Bar